"Most of these papers were originally presented as part of a symposium organized for the 1999 American Anthropological Association meetings held in Chicago, IL"--Ack. Includes bibliographical references and index. 1. Examining ancient Maya commoners anew / Jon C. Lohse and Fred Valdez, Jr. -- 2. Daily life in a highland Maya community : Zinacantan in mid-twentieth century / Evon Z. Vogt -- 3. The role of pottery and food consumption among late preclassic Maya commoners at Lamanai, Belize / Terry G. Powis -- 4. Of salt and water : ancient commoners on the Pacific coast of Guatemala / Barbara Arroyo -- 5. Down on the farm : classic Maya "homesteads" as "farmsteads" / Nicholas Dunning -- 6. Intra-site settlement signatures and implications for late classic Maya commoner organization at Dos Hombres, Belize / Jon C. Lohse -- 7. Heterogeneous hinterlands : the social and political organization of commoner settlements near Xunantunich, Belize / Jason Yaeger and Cynthia Robin -- 8. The spatial mobility of non-elite populations in classic Maya society and its political implications / Takeshi Inomata -- 9. Commoners in postclassic Maya society : social versus economic class constructs / Marilyn A. Masson and Carlos Peraza Lope -- 10. Methods for understanding classic Maya commoners : structure function, energetics, and more / Nancy Gonlin -- 11. Maya commoners : the stereotype and the reality / Joyce Marcus.
- LCC: F1435.3
- Dewey Decimal: 972.81/01
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: viii, 299 p. : ill., maps ; 24 cm.
- Edition Info: (hardcover : alk. paper)
- Amazon.com -- History -- Americas -- Central America -- General
- Amazon.com -- History -- Americas -- Mexico
- Amazon.com -- History -- Americas -- Native American -- General & Post-Columbus
- Amazon.com -- History -- Ancient -- Mayan
- Amazon.com -- Literature & Fiction -- History & Criticism -- Criticism & Theory -- General
- Mayas -- Social conditions -- Congresses
- Mayas -- Antiquities -- Congresses
- Working class -- Central America -- History -- Congresses
- Social structure -- Central America -- History -- Congresses
- Land settlement patterns -- Central America -- Congresses
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books