Ancient Futures: Lessons from Ladakh for a Globalizing World
A gripping portrait of the western Himalayan land sometimes known as �Little Tibet,� Ancient Futures opens with author Helena Norberg-Hodge�s first visit in 1975 to idyllic, preindustrial Ladakh. She then tracks the profound changes that occurred as the region was opened to foreign tourists and Western goods and technologies, and offers a firsthand account of how relentless pressure for economic growth precipitated generational and religious conflict, unemployment, inflation, and environmental damage, threatening to unravel Ladakh�s traditional way of life.Energized by the fate of a people who had captured her heart, Norberg-Hodge helped establish the Ladakh Project (later renamed the International Society for Ecology and Culture) to seek sustainable solutions that preserve cultural integrity and environmental health while addressing the hunger for modernization. Since then, other Ladakh-based projects have proliferated, supporting renewable energy systems, local agricultural methods, and the spiritual foundations of Ladakhi culture. The author�s new afterword brings readers up-to-date on the work of these projects and on her own career over several decades as she traveled widely, observing similar impacts on other cultures. She challenges us to rethink our concepts of �development� and �progress,� stressing above all the need to carry ancient wisdom into our future.
- Dewey Decimal: 301
- Physical Description: 6.0"x8.9"x0.7"; 0.7 lb; 240 pages
- Edition Info: Paperback; 2009-05-12
- Business & Investing -- Economics -- Sustainable Development
- Nonfiction -- Politics -- Globalization
- Nonfiction -- Social Sciences -- Anthropology -- Cultural
- Nonfiction -- Social Sciences -- Sociology -- General
- Nonfiction -- Social Sciences -- Sociology -- General AAS
- Nonfiction -- Urban Planning & Development -- General
- Nonfiction -- Urban Planning & Development -- General AAS
- Professional & Technical -- Professional Science -- Earth Sciences -- Environmental Science
- Science -- Earth Sciences -- Environmental Science
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books