An American century of photography: from dry-plate to digital: the Hallmark Photographic Collection
An American Century of Photography is an introduction to, and an original exploration of, the most vital age of American photography, which began just over a century ago with the advent of the dry-plate technology and the hand camera. Now, at the turn of the twenty-first century, photography is in the midst of another major technological change, one brought on by the impact of the computer. This remarkable evolution is documented here through a detailed discussion of important artists, images, and ideas. Accompanying the definitive text are state-of-the-art reproductions of 499 works, ranging from such iconic photographs as Dorothea Lange's Migrant Mother to a host of previously little-known or unpublished images. The variety of the selection greatly expands our understanding of the complexities and riches of American photography from the late nineteenth century to the present. The book accompanies a major traveling exhibition of masterworks from the Hallmark Photographic Collection, one of the most renowned holdings of its kind in the world.
Accompanies a traveling exhibition. Includes bibliographical references. I. A Reluctant Modernism: 1885-1915. A New Age. Art and Photography. The Generation of 1902 -- II. Abstraction and Realism: 1915-1940. "A World Bursting with New Ideas" Purism and Pictorialism. The New Vision. American Documents. The Triumph of Photography -- III. From Public to Private Concerns: 1940-1965. In the Shadow of War. From Document to Metaphor. Multitude, Solitude. Art and Commerce. New Perspectives: Into the '60s -- IV. The Image Transformed 1965-Present. The Photography Boom. A New Pluralism. Art and Photography. Themes and Variations: Photography at the Century's End. Coda: The Digital Revolution.
- LCC: TR23
- Dewey Decimal: 779/.0973
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: 590 p. : ill. (some col.), ports. ; 31cm.
- Hallmark Photographic Collection -- Exhibitions
- Photography -- United States -- History -- 20th century -- Exhibitions
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books