American labor and the Cold War grassroots politics and postwar political culture
Includes bibliographical references and index. Labor and the Cold War: the legacy of McCarthyism / Ellen Schrecker -- Uncivil war: an oral history of labor, communism, and community in Schenectady, New York, 1944-1954 / Gerald Zahavi -- Mixed melody: anticommunism and the United Packinghouse Workers in California agriculture, 1954-1961 / Don Watson -- The United Packinghouse Workers of America, civil rights, and the Communist Party in Chicago / Randi Storch -- 'An anarchist with a program': east coast shipyard workers, the labor left, and the origins of Cold War unionism / David Palmer -- The battle for Standard Coil: the United Electrical Workers, the Community Service Organization, and the Catholic church in Latino East Los Angeles / Kenneth C. Burt -- Popular anticommunism and the UE in Evansville, Indiana / Samuel W. White -- 'A stern struggle': Catholic activism and San Francisco labor, 1934-1958 / William Issel -- Memories of the red decade: HUAC investigations in Maryland / Vernon L. Pedersen -- Negotiating Cold War politics: the Washington Pension Union and the labor left in the 1940s and 1950s / Margaret Miller -- The lost world of United States labor education: curricula at east and west coast communist schools, 1944-1957 / Marvin Gettleman -- Operation Dixie, the Red Scare, and the defeat of southern labor organizing / Michael K. Honey -- 'A dangerous demagogue': containing the influence of the Mexican labor-left and its United States allies / Gigi Peterson. Electronic reproduction.NetLibrary.Available to subscribers only.
- LCC: HD6510
- Dewey Decimal: 331.88/0973/09045
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: xi, 297 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Edition Info: (electronic bk.)
- Anti-communist movements -- United States -- History
- Cold War
- Labor unions -- United States -- Political activity -- History -- 20th century
- Political culture -- United States -- History -- 20th century
- United States -- Politics and government -- 1945-1953
- United States -- Politics and government -- 1953-1961
- Electronic books
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books