When the Berlin Wall collapsed on November 9, 1989 signaling the end of the Cold WarAmerica and the West declared victory: Democracy and free markets had prevailed and the United States emerged as the world's triumphant superpower. The finger-on-the-button tension that had defined a generation was over, and it seemed that peace was at hand. The next twelve years rolled by in a haze of self-congratulation what some now call a "holiday from history. "When that complacency shattered on September 11, 2001, setting the U.S. on a new and contentious path, confused Americans asked themselves: How did we get here? In America Between The Wars, Derek Chollet and James Goldgeier examine how the decisions and debates of the years between the fall of the Wall on 11/9 and the collapse of the Twin Towers on 9/11 shaped the events, arguments, and politics of the world we live in today. Reflecting the authors' deep expertise and broad access to key players across the political spectrum, this book tells the story of a generation of leaders grappling with a moment of dramatic transformationchanging how we should think about the recent past, and uncovering important lessons for the future.
- Dewey Decimal: 973.928
- Physical Description: 6.2"x9.3"x1.5"; 1.6 lb; 432 pages
- Edition Info: Hardcover; 2008-06-02
- History -- Americas -- United States -- 20th Century -- 1945 - Present
- History -- Military -- Weapons & Warfare
- Nonfiction -- Politics -- History & Theory
- Nonfiction -- Politics -- International -- Relations
- Nonfiction -- Social Sciences -- Political Science -- Political Doctrines -- General
- Nonfiction -- Social Sciences -- Political Science -- Levels of Government -- Federal Government
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books