Talk about a mouth! According to authors John and Deborah Behler, "When the jaws of an adult crocodilian close, they can do so with tremendous force . . . Yet, the muscles that open the jaws are weak. A thick rubberband placed around the jaws of a six-foot croc can easily hold them shut." Readers will learn fascinating facts like this and more in Alligators & Crocodiles, which examines the natural history of the crocodilians--alligators, crocodiles, caiman, and gharials--collectively and individually. Its "Crocodilian Gallery" includes information on all 23 existing crocodilians, from the American alligator to the Chinese alligator, to the spectacled caiman, to the broad-snouted caiman, and the Orinoco crocodile to the gharial. Alligators & Crocodiles provides information about the range, diet, appearance, behavior, and mating practices of these creatures and shatters some of the myths about crocodilians (for example, the differences between alligators and crocodiles), and discusses conservation issues throughout the text as well as in a separate chapter. Also recommended: Sea Turtles (WorldLife Library). Discover the world's animals in the WorldLife Library from Voyageur Press. This highly acclaimed series brings you the latest research from leading naturalists, along with stunning color photographs of your favorite animals. John and Debbie Behler have worked at the Wildlife Conservation Society since 1970. John is senior author of the Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Reptiles and Amphibians; his wife Deb is Executive Editor of Wildlife Conservation magazine. They live in Amawalk, New York.
- Dewey Decimal: 770
- Physical Description: 8.7"x9.8"x0.5"; 0.8 lb; 72 pages
- Edition Info: Paperback; 1998-04-30
- Arts & Photography -- Photography -- Collections, Catalogues & Exhibitions
- Arts & Photography -- Photography -- How-to
- Science -- Biological Sciences -- Animals -- Reptiles & Amphibians
- Science -- Nature & Ecology -- Lakes & Ponds
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books