Against The Odds: Scholars Who Challenged Racism In The Twentieth Century
Over the course of the past century the struggle against racism took many forms, from petitions and lawsuits to sit-ins and marches. This book records the testimony of eleven scholar-activists who challenged prevailing racial beliefs and practices while engaging in resistance and reform. Included in this group are nine African Americans (Kenneth B. Clark, St. Clair Drake, W. E. B. Du Bois, John Hope Franklin, John Glover Jackson, Hylan Lewis, Frank Snowden Jr., and Robert C. Weaver); one Sri Lankan who lives and works in Britain (A. Sivanandan); and one white American (Herbert Aptheker). Most of these men began their careers before World War II, in a time when biological conceptions of race dominated public policy and severely limited opportunities available to people of color. By struggling with these impediments to their personal and professional lives, each in his own way helped redefine race as the social and cultural construct it has always been. To highlight both the similarities and the differences in their experiences, the editors asked each of the subjects the same set of general questions about formative influences, major obstacles, and principal accomplishments. These were followed by more narrowly focused queries about specific writings. Most of the responses were recorded on tape as interviews; several were submitted as written reminiscences; and one, the essay on Du Bois, was the shared recollection of two associates who had worked closely with him for many years.
- Dewey Decimal: 305.89607300922
- Physical Description: 6.0"x8.8"x0.9"; 0.9 lb; 264 pages
- Edition Info: Paperback; 2004-10-31
- Biographies & Memoirs -- Ethnic & National -- African-American & Black
- Biographies & Memoirs -- Ethnic & National -- General
- Biographies & Memoirs -- Leaders & Notable People -- Political
- History -- Americas -- United States -- 20th Century -- General
- Nonfiction -- Social Sciences -- Discrimination & Racism
- Nonfiction -- Social Sciences -- Sociology -- General
- Nonfiction -- Social Sciences -- General
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books