African Americans and the Civil War (The Civil War: a Nation Divided)
Though at first shunned when it was made clear that the Civil War was to be a white man's fight, Northern blacks sought to contribute to the war effort from the moment volunteers were called. Initially taken in as contraband, free blacks and ex-slaves eventually donned uniforms and fought in more than 400 battles to reunite the Union and free their brethren from bondage. Incurring blatant prejudice that saw black soldiers underpaid and denied officer commissions, the vast majority endured hardship and deprivation in battle after battle in an attempt to demonstrate bravery and dedication to the cause. With their willingness and ability to fight initially questioned, African Americans repeatedly proved their valor. Discover in "African Americans and the Civil War" how, according to President Abraham Lincoln, black soldiers made the difference between victory and defeat.
- Dewey Decimal: 973.7415
- Physical Description: 6.7"x9.3"x0.5"; 0.9 lb; 134 pages
- Edition Info: Library Binding; 2009-05
- Children's Books -- History & Historical Fiction -- General
- Children's Books -- People & Places -- Biographies -- People of Color
- Children's Books -- People & Places -- General
- Children's Books -- Reference & Nonfiction -- General
- Children's Books -- Reference & Nonfiction -- General AAS
- History -- Americas -- United States -- Civil War -- General
- Reference -- General
- Teens -- General
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books