A house built on sand: exposing postmodernist myths about science
Includes bibliographical references and index. Scrutinizing science studies / Noretta Koertge -- What the social text affair does and does not prove / Alan D. Sokal -- What the Sokal hoax ought to teach us / Paul A. Boghossian -- Plea for science studies / Philip Kitcher -- Bashful eggs, macho sperm, and Tonypandy / Paul R. Gross -- Engineer dissects two case studies: Hayles on fluid mechanics, and MacKenzie on statistics / Philip A. Sullivan -- Evidence-free forensics and enemies of objectivity / Paul R. Gross -- Is Darwinism sexist? (And if it is, so what?) / Michael Ruse -- When experiments fail: is "cold fusion" science as normal? / William J. McKinney -- Avoiding the experimenters' regress / Allan Franklin -- Latour's relativity / John Huth -- In defense of Bacon -- Alchemy, domination, and gender / William R. Newman -- What's wrong with the strong programme's case study of the "Hobbes-Boyle" dispute / Cassandra L. Pinnick -- Postmodernisms and the problem of scientific literacy / Noretta Koertge -- End of science, the central dogma of science studies, Monsieur Jordain, and Uncle Vanya / Norman Levitt -- Epistemic charity of the social constructivist critics of science and why the third world should refuse the offer / Meera Nanda.
- LCC: Q172
- Dewey Decimal: 501
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: xi, 322 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Edition Info: (alk. paper)
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books