"It is safe to say that no other person in the town of Deerpark...has been so well qualified by the possession of historical facts and other considerations to write this history as was Mr. Gumaer." Thus is written of the author, born and raised in Deerpark, New York, who spent "many years of close observation" researching, and four years writing this text. Settlers first established the community that became Deerpark in 1690. The settlement, on land most likely purchased from Indians, was at the time twenty-five or thirty miles distant from its nearest neighbor. This book begins with that early settlement and traces more that one hundred and fifty years of the lives, customs, and characteristics of Deerpark's citizens, as well as its history. Family histories of those first settlers profile both their ancestors and four generations of their descendants. Genealogies of notable Deerpark citizens add to the completeness of the text, and much space is dedicated to the day-to-day lives and practices in Deerpark through the years. Sections deal with everything from market prices of agricultural products, to local topography and wildlife, to the "use of spirits at funerals and weddings," to population and emigration data. Enclosed also is information on occupations, religious affiliations, and political pursuits. The text is readable and enjoyable, and impressive in its thoroughness. A new everyname index is a great aid to researchers.
- Physical Description: 222 pages
- Edition Info: Paperback; 2005
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books