A freedom bought with blood: African American war literature from the Civil War to World War II
Includes bibliographical references (p. -309) and index. Introduction. Sable Hands and National Arms: Theorizing the African American Literature of War -- 1. Civil War Wounds: William Wells Brown, Violence, and the Domestic Narrative -- 2. Fighting Fire with Fire: Frances Harper, Paul Laurence Dunbar, and the Post-Civil War Reconciliation Narrative -- 3. Not Men Alone: Susie King Taylor's Reminiscences of My Life in Camp and Masculine Self-Fashioning -- 4. Imagining Mobility: Turn-of-the-Century Empire, Technology, and Black Imperial Citizenship -- 5. Innocence, Complicity, Consent: Black Men, White Women, and Worlds of Wars -- 6. Diaspora and Dissent: World War I, Claude McKay, and Home to Harlem -- 7. If We Come Out Standing Up: Gwendolyn Brooks, World War II, and the Politics of Rehabilitation -- Conclusion. Let This Dying Be for Something: And Then We Heard the Thunder and the Military Neoslave Narrative.
- LCC: PS153
- Dewey Decimal: 820.9/358
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: 324 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Edition Info: (pbk. : alk. paper)
- American literature -- African American authors -- History and criticism
- War in literature
- War and literature -- United States
- African Americans -- Race identity
- African Americans in literature
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Literature and the war
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Literature and the war -- United States
- World War, 1939-1945 -- United States -- Literature and the war
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books