This companion represents the interdisciplinary and international field of ""cultural memory studies"" in one volume. Articles by renowned international scholars offer readers a unique overview of the key concepts of cultural memory studies. The book not only documents current research in an unprecedented way; it also serves as a forum for bringing together approaches from areas as varied as sociology, political sciences, history, theology, literary studies, media studies, philosophy, psychology, and neurosciences.""Cultural memory studies"" - as defined in this book - came into being at the beginning of the 20th century, with the works of Maurice Halbwachs on mÃ¨moire collective. In the course of the last two decades this area of research has witnessed a veritable boom in various countries and disciplines. As a consequence, the study of the relation of ""culture"" and ""memory"" has diversified into a wide range of approaches. This companion is based on a broad understanding of ""cultural memory"" as the interplay of present and past in sociocultural contexts. It presents concepts for the study of individual remembering in a social context, group and family memory, national memory, the various media of memory, and finally the host of emerging transnational lieux de mÃ¨moire such as 9/11. This book first appeared as a hardback volume in the De Gruyter series ""Media and Cultural Memory"" under the title ""Cultural Memory Studies: An International and Interdisciplinary Handbook"". With the present companion the original articles are reissued in an affordable paperback edition.
- Dewey Decimal: 306.01
- Physical Description: 6.0"x8.9"x1.0"; 1.5 lb; 441 pages
- Edition Info: Paperback; 2010-05-20
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books