"My name is Suzanne Giroux. My father traded his life for mine . . . and I chose to live. This is my story." So begins the story of Suzanne Giroux. Born on the border between Quebec and Ontario, she lives her life walking a fine line between life and death. At the age of 24, Suzanne discovers a lump in her breast that turns out to be breast cancer, and she begins a struggle to maintain her sanity and her health. She tells of two miscarriages; her fiancé, the man of her dreams, falling in a construction accident and being reduced to a vegetative state; the man she finally does marry becoming abusive, indifferent, an alcoholic and an adulterer; and the return of her cancer after an operation to remove it fails. Rushing to her side, her distraught father tells her that he would give anything to trade places with her, to take her cancer into his body so she could be healthy. And then he is diagnosed with cancer as well. But not all is dark. On vacation, she meets a doctor who suggests she try to qualify for the drug Herceptin, which stops the growth of tumors in breast cancer and sometimes even shrinks them. Giroux begins the treatments, but as she gets better, her father becomes worse, and she loses him at the same time her marriage falls apart. Today Giroux makes appearances talking about how the Herceptin drug has helped her overcome cancer. Giroux has chosen to live, and the forces of her life have come together to make that happen.
- Dewey Decimal: 920
- Physical Description: 5.8"x8.8"x0.5"; 0.6 lb; 200 pages
- Edition Info: Paperback; 2001-04-01
- Biographies & Memoirs -- Memoirs
- Biographies & Memoirs -- Professionals & Academics -- Medical
- Biographies & Memoirs -- Specific Groups -- Women
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books