Orwell depicts a gray world dominated by Big Brother and its vast network of agents, including the Thought Police, quashing freedom in a totalitarian world in which news is manufactured according to the authorities will and people live tepid lives by rote. Winston Smith, the hero with no heroic qualities, longs only for truth and decency. But living in a social system in which privacy does not exist and where those with unorthodox ideas are brainwashed or put to death, he knows there is no hope for him. The year 1984 has come and gone, yet George Orwells nightmare vision in 1949 of the world we were becoming is still the great modern classic of negative Utopia.
- Dewey Decimal: 813
- Physical Description: 4.3"x6.3"x2.8"; 0.7 lb
- Edition Info: Audio Cassette; 2004-11
- Literature & Fiction -- Authors, A-Z -- ( O ) -- Orwell, George -- General
- Literature & Fiction -- Authors, A-Z -- ( O ) -- Orwell, George -- General AAS
- Literature & Fiction -- Classics -- General AAS
- Literature & Fiction -- General -- Classics
- Literature & Fiction -- General -- General AAS
- Literature & Fiction -- General AAS
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books